Our pediatric inpatient care is unmatched in the region. We have a 40-bed family-friendly nursing unit staffed with PALS (pediatric advanced life-support) trained clinical staff. Many of our pediatric physicians are fellowship trained and/or board certified in their respective pediatric subspecialties, and many practice exclusively at our facility. We welcome parents and family members to have an active role in the treatment process.
Highlights of our Pediatric Services:
- Staff specializing in children/adolescent care
- 35 private rooms
- Highly trained Pediatric medical staff
- Accommodations in room for parents & family
- Two age-specific activity rooms
- Sibling visitation program
- Pediatric social worker
- Pediatric dietitian
- Pediatric therapists
- Pediatric respiratory therapists
- Visits by therapy pets
Pediatric intensive care unit (PICU)
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit is a 10-bed unit that cares for critically ill children, and is the only one of its kind between Birmingham and Nashville. The PICU is staffed by pediatric intensivists who are board certified in Pediatric Critical Care. All nursing staff are also dedicated and specially trained in Pediatric Critical Care and PALS certified.
Specialists and therapists included on our staff:
- Pediatric physical, speech and occupational therapist
- Dedicated Child Life specialist
- Pediatric Respiratory therapist
- Pediatric dietitian
Children from other hospitals
Children from across north Alabama and south central Tennessee come to Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children to receive critical, lifesaving medical care. The Kids Care ambulance uses specialized equipment and highly trained staff to provide around-the-clock transport services for children.
- 24-hour visitation for parents (or grandparents at parents’ discretion)
- Parents are encouraged to stay with their children
- One parent may sleep at the bedside during the night
- Only 2 visitors at a time are permitted, including parents
- The recommended time for others to visit is 2 – 4 p.m. and 8 – 9 p.m.
- There will be visits by therapy pets
Parents will determine who will be allowed to visit. Siblings under the age of 14 may visit after they have met with a Child Life specialist to prepare for the visit to PICU. If the specialist is unavailable, the visit is at the nurse’s discretion.