Child life specialists are prepared at the bachelors and masters levels in Child Life, Child Development and other related fields. Professional certification is available to qualified candidates through the Child Life Certification Commission. Certified Child Life Specialists (CCLS) must pass the Child Life Professional Certification Examination. For more information, contact the Association of Child Life Professionals. If you are interested in the opportunities offered at Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children, click on the category of interest below.
Child Life Internship Opportunities
- 1-week orientation
- 6-week rotation: outpatient
- 6-week rotation: inpatient
- 1 week: visiting other areas and other child life programs
- 3 weeks: additional outpatient/inpatient area
Music Therapy Internship Opportunities
Areas of Service
- Adult In-patient Palliative Care
- Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Outpatient Pediatric Therapy and Audiology
- Adult Outpatient Infusion
Applicants must meet all pre-requisites before they can be considered for the internship. This includes an interview and audition with the instrument of your choice to evaluate music skill, therapy/clinical skills and professionalism.
How to Apply
- Application with official transcripts; Applications are due on March 1 of each year to begin the internship for the fall semester.
- Current resume
- Three signed recommendation/verification letters
- Written documentation from a university must be provided:
- Health/drug screen
- Criminal background check
- CPR Certification
- Professional liability insurance
- Negative TB skin test within the past three months (if previously tested positive, a chest x-ray is needed within the past year)
- Varicella titer drawn
- MMR vaccination
- Completed series of three Hepatitis-B vaccine or informed refusal of vaccine
- Tetanus/diphtheria booster is recommended if 10 years have elapsed since last booster
- Music Therapy Program Pre-Requisites
- Internship Application
- Recommendations Form
- Music Therapy Internship Fact Sheet
For more information, contact:
Krysee Wright, MT-BC Internship Director
Child Life Seminars
Child Life Seminar 101This seminar is open to high school juniors/seniors, college students, and adults interested in learning more about the field of child life. This is an introductory seminar to learn more about the child life profession. Some key topics that will be discussed are the following:
- What is child life?
- How do I follow the child life career path to become a child life specialist?
- What does a typical day look like in this profession?
Child Life Seminar 102This seminar is open to college juniors and seniors who are actively pursuing a degree or concentration in child life. The pre-requisite for the seminar includes having completed or currently taking a child life specific class (e.g. Introduction to Child Life, Hospitalized Child).This is an opportunity for some hands-on learning experience with Certified Child Life Specialists. Some key points that will be addressed are the following:
- Case studies/scenarios
- Internship/practicum application and interviewing