As north Alabama's only Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), our state-of-the-art facility is designed to care for critically ill babies, premature newborns and infants requiring close observation.
We offer the only Level III NICU in the region, and we are designated by the state as the Region I Referral Center for NICU care. This means that infants from across north Alabama and south central Tennessee come to Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children to receive critical, lifesaving medical care. The Kids Care ambulance uses specialized equipment and highly trained staff to provide around-the-clock transport services for infants and newborns coming to the NICU.
Our highly trained staff includes:
- Physicians board certified in Neonatal Critical Care
- Experienced nurses certified by the American Heart Association’s Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC)
- Respiratory therapists with specialized pediatric training
Highlights of our program:
- We encourage parents to be a part of their baby’s care through physician rounds, skin-to-skin time (kangaroo care), the Read to Grow program and an open visitation policy.
- Visits from grandparents and siblings are also encouraged.
- For families preparing for their baby’s discharge, we offer a home-like overnight room to help parents adjust to any medical equipment they will need to manage at home.
- Our Family Support Program has a dedicated staff member and a team of volunteers that offer a variety of educational resources, activities for families and one-on-one support throughout the hospital stay.