As north Alabama's only Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), our state-of-the-art facility is designed to care for critically ill babies, premature newborns and infants requiring close observation.
We offer the only Level III NICU in the region, and we are designated by the state as the Region I Referral Center for NICU care. This means that infants from across north Alabama and south central Tennessee come to Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children to receive critical, lifesaving medical care. The Kids Care ambulance uses specialized equipment and highly trained staff to provide around-the-clock transport services for infants and newborns coming to the NICU.
- Open visitation policy for parents and guardians - grandparents and siblings are also encouraged to visit
- Physicians board certified in Neonatal Critical Care
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioners
- Experienced nurses certified by the American Heart Association’s Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC)
- Respiratory therapists with specialized pediatric training
- Family Support Program to address the unique needs of NICU families
Neonatal ICU Reunion for 2015 babies
Breastfeeding in the NICU
We support breastfeeding because of the proven health benefits for both mom and baby. We provide a variety of services to help mothers provide breast milk to their infants including:
A dedicated staff of International Board Certified Lactation Consultants with advanced training in assisting families in the NICU
Mothers are able to breastfeed or pump at the baby's bedside.
Kangaroo (or skin-to-skin) care is encouraged as soon as baby is medically stable
Dedicated breastfeeding rooms and pump rentals are available for mothers who need them
Free, weekly support group for breastfeeding mothers led by a certified lactation specialist
Free breastfeeding classes taught by a certified lactation specialist