Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit is an 11-bed unit that cares for critically ill children, and is the only one of its kind between Birmingham and Nashville. The PICU is staffed by pediatric intensivists who are board certified in Pediatric Critical Care as well as pediatric acute care trained nurse practitioners. All nursing staff are also dedicated and specially trained in Pediatric Critical Care and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certified.
Children from other hospitals
Specialists and therapists included on our staff:
- Pediatric physical, speech and occupational therapist
- Dedicated Child Life specialist
- Pediatric Respiratory therapist
- Pediatric dietitian
- Social worker to assist parents with any needs when transitioning home
- Dedicated Pediatric Unit based pharmacist
- Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultants
PICU staff is supported by other disciplines including social workers, Child Life specialists and hospital chaplains.